Pages Menu
Categories Menu

History of the Corowa Golf Club

The Corowa Golf Club was formed at a public meeting on Saturday, June 27 1903, on the Corowa Links Showground Hill (Now Corowa High School). The inaugural club president James Begg hit the first ball on July 11, 1903, before three foursomes took part in a round on the nine hole course.

The following year the course moved to Ball Park, the site that would become the Corowa Town Golf Club. The course at Ball Park stretched from the John Foord Bridge through Bangerang Park around and onto river flats below Alfred Street and back around the river to the bridge, taking in where the Corowa Sports and Citizens Club, Ball Park Caravan Park and Cricket oval, Corowa Lawn Tennis Club and Bangerang Park are situated today.

But the area was needed for these new developments and in 1928 the club moved to the Corowa Common with 18 holes and sand scrapes opened on April 30, 1929.

In 1955 the Corowa Golf Club was granted a lease for its present site on the 15th of June. This is when the club really went forward with the members after World War 2. The following years were very successful. The club was granted a liquor licence on the 16th of May and grass greens, with watering system, for tees and green all in 1956 and ten years later in 1966 the club installed fairway watering system.

The late 60s and 70s were again very active time for the club with the Present Club House opened in 1969 with club house extensions in 1975 and 78. The course added automatic watering systems in 1973 and then in 1977 course drainage was added.

The most vital part to a golf club, the Pro Shop was opened in 1977 and in 1978 the Corowa Golf Club acquired land for additional nine holes and in 1979 construction of the new nine commenced and on the 28th of September 1980 the new nine opened.

On the 20th of May 1986 the club opened the on course accommodation. The on course motel is a 35 room two story motel with views looking out onto the Murray River and views overlooking the practice fairways and front 9 course. In 1992 the club built a motel residence.

The club house was refurbished in 1993 and in 1994 the Pro Shop was also refurbished.

In June of 2003 the Corowa Golf Club Celebrated 100 years

In 2004 the club house again was refurbished at a costing over $600,000. From the club house there are views of the back 18 holes (old course) and the Murray River. The Club house is well designed with separate areas for pokies, lounge and restaurant areas which enables families to come to the club.

In 2006 Corowa Golf Club held the first Australian Golf Writers State of Origin Challenge. Corowa Golf Club is also very proud to be in the top 100 golf courses in Australia and invites you to challenge yourself on our 27 hole championship course.